When I left work before the holiday, I really wanted to be intentional about having a fulfilling vacation. I wanted to make good use of the time, in ways that I could feel good about and be proud of. Now, I didn't accomplish all of my goals, but I did make some progress. I could really use another week or two. But who couldn't, right? I heard some folks say that they were ready and even anxious to come back to work today. Not me, but I did what had to be done, and now I'm rewarding myself. I had a delicious dinner from In-N-Out and now I'm clearly indulging in some good ol' fashioned navel-gazing. Ahhhh.
So, here are a few of things I had interest in doing over my vacation:
* get all christmas gifts bought or made, wrapped and sent
* send holiday cards
* finish wedding thank you notes
* study music
* read
* get together with old friends
* clean
* de-clutter
* sleep, sleep, and more sleep
* workout/prep for 10k on 1/31/10.
* SoulCollage silent retreat
* catch up on Quaker committee work
I'm sure there were probably a few more aspirations but this list summarizes it pretty well. I also intended to report each day on my progress and how well I was rockin' my vacation but I got shy.
I am happy to say that I did get some christmas gifts bought, made, wrapped and delivered, and yet there are still some to do. We sent a few more holiday cards and thank you notes and alas, there are more of those to do. I do feel blessed and grateful that I have so many to thank and reconnect with. It was nice to do some of that and see and speak with some family over the break. And then there were those familiar chaotic bittersweet holiday family moments that remind you where home is.
I did not read, study music or get together with friends very much, if at all.
I did not clean much, but I did de-clutter a bit.
****
I got distracted. But I'm back. Duh. Doh. Hmpf.
ANYway, back to the public display of navel-gazing. I was quite proud of the de-cluttering I have to say. In two days, I managed to clear out a couple of boxes and throw out/recycle four brown paper bags worth of old committee notes, minutes, agendas, travel documents, etc. It was the first time I had looked at these materials without excuses being made about how I would use them in the future. If I hadn't used them or looked at them in years (some as old as seven years), I figured I wouldn't be looking at them much going forward. The space cleared would be more useful than the space cluttered. If cared so much about the organization I had volunteered for, I should find a way to help them in real, tangible ways today. I needn't become an expert on the history of policies and process. A better gift would be to give of my time and the of the gifts I know I inherently have. There are many more boxes to go through (more committee minutes and notes, class notes, syllabi and papers from high school and college, old letters from old friends, trinkets, and countless other subjects), but four heavy bags was no small feat. And since my shredder is also broken and in my to be de-cluttered pile, I tore everything by hand. My hands have been terribly dry every since, but my heart and spirit do feel a bit cleansed.
I only slept in one day, until 3. I could have slept until 3 every day, but somehow I knew that wouldn't give me what I was looking for. I did get in a nap or two and that supplemented my need rest, at least a little bit.
I did workout, I did go to the SoulCollage silent retreat and I did do some Quaker committee work.
I also spent some time with my husband and step-daughter and that, too, was time well spent indeed.
Well that's that. One scattered mess of a first blog back.
Love,
S

No comments:
Post a Comment